server running, reports articles in groups, but articles are NOT there...

John Kozubik john_kozubik at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 30 04:09:14 UTC 2000

I have an installation of inn that seemed to have gone smoothly,
and shows all signs of working properly.

- no errors in the logs
- the /var filesystem is filling up with overview information
- cnfs setup seems to work great
- clients connect and receive the active list as they should
- inncheck reports _no_ problems

The problem is, when a news client connects, it connects, gets the
active list, and shows each newsgroup and the number of messages
in each newsgroup.  However, no matter which newsgroup I choose,
there end up being _no_ messages in it, and the news client then
revises the number of messages down to 0.

I would appreciate any hints or suggestions as to why this is
happening.  Basically inn tells the client that there are X
articles in a newsgroup, but then it turns out there are no
articles in the group, and the client then shows the number of
messages to be zero.

Either way, nobody is reading any news :)

thanks,

john