Basic server

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 30 09:08:38 UTC 2000

Andrés <andres at redys.com> writes:

> I have INN-2.2-8 installed on my RedHat 6.0. I would like to configure
> it in a basic way, as I only want to have my own newsgroups and I don't
> want to receive external newsgroups nor share my newsgroups with any
> other server.

> I'm reading the configuration but it's really complicated.

> Could someone how do I configure this? Or at least tell me what I really
> need and what I can cut.

See <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/inn.html#3.5>:

Subject: 3.5. Setting up a server with no external feeds, just local groups

The basic steps are to set up a newsfeeds file empty except for "internal"
feeds like overchan and the like, not worry about either nntpsend or
innfeed, have only localhost in incoming.conf (hosts.nntp in older
versions), create the minimal active file (see 4.2) before starting the
server, and then after starting the server create the groups you want to
carry with ctlinnd newgroup.  Set up reading permissions using nnrp.access
as appropriate for your organization.