articles appearing in wrong newsgroups

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 30 09:10:40 UTC 2000

Edwin <edwin.yau at rdel.co.uk> writes:

> I'm using INN2.2 and CNFS buffering on a Solaris 2.6 O/S.  I'm having a
> very strange problem.  Some articles being posted into one local
> newsgroup are also appearing in another local newsgroup under a
> different subject heading (effectively replacing the original article
> there).  Does anyone know why this might be happening?  It doesn't seem
> to matter if the articles are being cross-posted or not.  The same thing
> occasionally happens.  We have a 0.5Gb CNFS buffer set up for these set
> of groups and I know we can't have filled that up so quickly.  There
> aren't enough articles to even fill up 100Mb as of yet.

Unfortunately, this sounds very much like overview corruption, which is
notoriously hard to track down.  More unfortunately (for finding a
solution to your problem), the overview code in 2.2 is no longer with us,
replaced by the new overview API in 2.3 and three different overview
implementations, all of which seem to work better.

I haven't seen any reliable solutions to this sort of problem; maybe
someone else will have other suggestions.