problemduring posting to moderated groups

Todd Olson tco2 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 30 17:58:45 UTC 2000

Hi Russ

Thanks for the reply

>Todd Olson <tco2 at cornell.edu> writes:
>
> >> The server sent the following response:
> >> 441 Mailer exited with status -1 -- Article might not have been mailed
>
> > However the message is correctly forwarded to the moderator.  The
> > sendmail logs show nothing unusual. (just a line for the message from
> > news and a line for the message being sent out to the moderator (and
> > being accepted))
>
> > The news.debug logs show "Mailer exited with status -1" message.
>
> > The line that generates the "Mailer exited with ..." is in inews.  I'm
> > having a hard time figuring what is going on.
>
>I'm pretty sure it's in nnrpd, actually; client postings don't go through
>inews.  nnrpd handles them directly, and that error message also appears
>there.

Ah, ... yes, you are correct ... I confused my earlier work with
mail-to-news and tested the wrong thing...

>For some reason, sendmail is returning a non-zero status code.  Tracing
>nnrpd will unfortunately be a lot more difficult; I don't have a good idea
>as to how to track down this problem.  :/

Yea it appears to be harder to track down ...
Isn't there a way to set up nnrpd as standalone???

> > 3) I have truss-ed the inews on a command line, but I am not knowledgeable
> >    enough to figure out what is wrong.  It seems that sendmail is getting
> >    called correctly ....  (See truss excerpt below)
>
>The truss of inews reveals no problems and sendmail returning 0 (as
>expected).  Can you think of anything about the sendmail setup that may
>cause problems?  What is "mta" set to in inn.conf?

Here is the MTA line from inn.conf (copy and paste)
mta:                    /l/S/05/inn/lbin/sendmail -oi %s

The path specified is to a symbolic link that points to the
actual sendmail binary.  Don't know if that is relevant.

Also the Sender: line as a correctly formated but non existant
email address in it.  Could that cause a problem???

Regards,
Todd Olson
Cornell University