INN config file parsing infrastructure

Fabien Tassin fta at oleane.net
Thu May 4 13:31:30 UTC 2000

According to Bill Davidsen:

> The use of the # comment character should be clearly defined.

I really would like to discourage usage of non-semantic comments...
I agree that such comments are very useful for people that manage their
servers by hand but if you want to use a GUI (or Web based admin tools,
a conf managers, etc.), comments will not survive between changes.
That's the purpose of the 'description' and 'skip' fields in incoming.conf.
Unfortunatly, I've never had time to finish the project I've had in mind :(

IHMO, such a lib should be able to do some manipulations on a file such as :
- check/read/write a whole file (and perhaps its dependancies)
- add/remove/desactivate/activate a section or a group
- launch optionnal actions for each event (previously quoted) using hooks.

With that, we will be able to make another lib (eg libctlinn) with a well
defined API that can be used by external tools like ctlinnd, CGI apps,
PINN manager and the like to dynamicaly configure INN on a per feed/reader
basis.

Your thoughts ?

Fabien Tassin -+- fta at sofaraway.org