INN config file parsing infrastructure

Olaf Titz olaf at bigred.inka.de
Fri May 5 10:02:35 UTC 2000

> > I don't think GUI tools for INN are really needed.
>
> It would fill a niche for the small site; see the Personal INN stuff for
> NeXT that was mentioned here a while back.  I'd like to see INN be usable
> in that niche (it needs some other tuning for less memory usage for a
> small site, but that's also something I want to look at at some point).

That would be nice, but then the configuration would have to be cut
down radically. I see about 25 files totaling >150kb in etc now.
Compare that to Apache where you get a usable standard configuration
in one file (although usually split in three for historical reasons)
of 20k, and that is heavily commented. My exim config (arguably a job
similar to INNs) is one 6k file plus the alias db.

I don't see an easy way out of that. Worse, I don't see how a file
like control.ctl can be sensibly GUIized without turning the GUI into
a glorified text editor, but I also don't see a way of getting rid of it.

Olaf

PS. The exim config file syntax really sucks. Look at it to see how
_not_ to do strings and quoting, how _not_ to do sections and more.