IPv6

Fabien Tassin fta at sofaraway.org
Mon Nov 6 17:47:32 UTC 2000

Any progress with native IPv6 support for INN ?

According to Marco d'Itri:
> On Sep 06, "Bradley W. McNamara" <BMcNamara at zama.net> wrote:
>
>  >I have seen commnets about IPv6 support in the mailing list archives.
>  >One of them even states that there is a patch to add IPv6 support in
>  >version 2.1, and says the patch is about 20KB compressed, but doesn't
>  >say where, or how, the get it.  Does anybody have additional info on

> Try searching for inn-2.2.1-v6-19991121 with a search engine, I found
> the patch on some .jp site.

For those running Linux or FreeBSD, there's a patch available for
INN 2.2.* (for example, INN 2.2.3 Debian sources/binaries are available at
http://people.debian.org/~kitame/ipv6/).
I don't know the status of this patch for other OS supported by INN but for
a list of IPv6 friendly OSes, see http://www.ipv6.org/impl/index.html.

BTW, it would be nice to have IPv6 support upstream.
The previously mentionned patch allows both native IPv6 and IPv4/IPv6
dual sockets.. the later is a good thing for sites that are building
a v6 network and that already have a news server with v4 peers (my case).

FYI, I've included the file README.v6 shipped with the Debian package.

(note that even if I'm a real fan of this Linux distribution, I always compile
my INN servers from upstream sources (understand not Debianified)).

>  >this patch?  Is there any update on the effort to add IPv6 support into
>  >the most current release?  Thanks.

> I still plan to do that, but I'll have some free time for this project
> only in november.

any progress ? :)

I've already added IPv6 support for one of my network related applications
but I'm now wondering about a cleaner way (ie AF independant) to do this...
(see http://www.kame.net/newsletter/19980604/ and various recent RFCs)

Thoughts ?

Regards,
Fabien.

===== README.v6 from inn2_2.2.3-ipv6-20000112-2.tar.gz =====

Patch kit for INN-2.2.2

							1999/12/21
							NORTH 6bone Project
							Satosi KOBAYASI
							kobayasi at north.ad.jp

This patch provides an IPv6 capability for INN-2.2.2. We are testing this
patch under following environments:

	FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE + KAME(snap/stable)
	FreeBSD 3.3.3-RELEASE + KAME(snap)
	NetBSD 1.4.1 + KAME(snap/stable)
	Linux 2.2.13 + glibc-2.1.2 (compilation only)

HOW TO INSTALL

1. Get the original.
	You can get the original source code from:
		ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/inn/inn-2.2.2.tar.gz
		(or a lot of mirroring site)

2. Extract the original code and apply this patch.
	# gtar -dc inn-2.2.2.tar.gz | tar xvf -
	# cd inn-2.2.2
	# patch -p1 < ../inn-2.2.2-v6-19991220.diff

3. Build.
	# ./configure
	# make

	*** Original extensions for configure are available ***
		--disable-ipv6	Disable IPv6 support code.
		--enable-dual-socket
				INN creates two socket (IPv4 and IPv6) for
				waiting connections from remote servers and
				clients. If your host can't handle IPv4 mapped
				address (i.e. KAME/freebsd2) and you want to
				allow connections from IPv4 and IPv6 hosts,
				this option will be useful.

4. Edit config files.
	Please see the documents of the original source code.

5. Configuration notice for inn.conf
	In "inn.conf", new parameter named "addressfamily" is ready. This will
	be set to as follows:
		AF_INET		The server creates only IPv4 socket for waiting
				connections.
		AF_INET6	The server creates only IPv6 socket. If you
				enable your server to handle IPv4 mapped
				address by kernel configuration, the server
				can accept IPv4 NNTP connections.
		BOTH		The server creates IPv4 and IPv6 sockets.
				"--enable-dual-socket" option is needed at
				configure.

6. Configuration notice for nnrp.access
	If you want to write an IPv6 address to "nnrp.access", please quote the
	IPv6 address by using square brackets ([]). For example,
		[fe80::/64]:Read Post:::*

THANKS TO

	IPv6 users group at INTEC 6bone <v6-users at v6.intec.co.jp> who are
	testing new patches.
	Mr. Hideaki YOSHIFUJI <yoshfuji at ecei.tohoku.ac.jp> in Tohoku Univ who
	sent me a patch for INN-2.2.1 and a building report for Linux and some
	useful advises.

Fabien Tassin -+- fta at sofaraway.org