slow expire with buffindexed

Simon Lyall simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Tue Nov 7 22:32:04 UTC 2000

I'm just wondering what performance I should be seeing when I expire
overviews for buffindex overviews and cnfs spool.

Currently I have 10867473 lines in history, 12605786 overview data stored
and 15 % overview space used. I have 15*2GB buffers storing the overviews
and the cnfs buffer for non-binary articles is about 40% full. I am not
exactly sure why the number of files in overview is greater than the
length of the history.

The article expire bit takes about 4-5 hours which I can live with,
however the overview expire is taking at least 12 hours or more. Watching
the expire.lowmark file it appears to not update for about 10 minutes at a
time and then write a couple of hundred lines worth of newsgroups. This
means that the time to cover even my 18,000 line active file is huge.

Ideas I'm think are that perhaps my overview files are corrupt and should
be rebuilt although I'm trying to avoid this since it will take the server
down for a long time.

Is it possible that the fact that my overviews are bigger than I need slowing
everything down?

The rest of the server operation is faily good and pretty responsive, my
main concern is that the expireover speed.

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Senior Network/System Admin |              | Home: simon at darkmere.gen.nz
ihug, Auckland, NZ          | Asst Doorman | Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz