innd: SERVER cant bind RCreader Permission denied

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 16 07:35:47 UTC 2000

I'm really sorry about the long delay in replying to this message.  I
realize that it's probably irrelevant at this point, but just in case....

Jeff Laughlin <n1ywb at amsat.org> writes:

> rc.news will not execute innd regardless of what uid I execute it as.
> innwatch runs and goes to sleep and all, but innd never starts up. Now,
> when I run innd by hand as root, everything seems to be fine. The daemon
> runs in the background, and everybody's happy. However, if I run innd as
> news, I get the following error:

> innd: SERVER cant bind RCreader Permission denied

inndstart binds to port 119 as root, drops permissions, and then starts
innd.  This error message usually indicates that innd is being run via
some mechanism other than inndstart or that inndstart isn't setuid root
like it has to be to open port 119.