INN 2.3.0 articles missing when nnrp accessed

David Sargeant david_sargeant at hplx.net
Mon Nov 20 14:59:21 UTC 2000

I just upgraded my private news server to INN 2.3.0 from 2.2, and I think
I've successfully switched from nnrp.access security to readers.conf
security, but now I have another problem: no matter how I modify the
~news/db/active file, whenever I start innd and access it with a news
reader (or telnet manually to port 119), I get no messages in any of the
newsgroups.  The articles are physically present in the
~news/spool/articles directories, but don't show up at all in readers.
For example, my group list.hplx has this line in ~news/db/active:

list.hplx 0000024721 0000011378 y

And those are the proper article numbers present in the
~news/spool/articles/list/hplx directory.  But when I telnet to port 119
and log in (via AUTHINFO USER and AUTHINFO PASS) and then try to access it
via "group list.hplx", it shows up as:

211 0 0 0 list.hplx

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?  One thing I noticed is that
innd will not load without the makedbz history files in ~news/db now, and
when I run makedbz on my existing history file, it gives thousands of
messages like:

Invalid message-id "<3A15C319.F4F7A22 at news.hplx.net>" in history text

Does that have something to do with my "empty groups" problem?  Thanks for
any help.