Local news server mirroring some Usenet groups

Simon Lyall simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Fri Nov 24 03:05:39 UTC 2000

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, David Sargeant wrote:
> The news server that I run (news.hplx.net, using INN 2.3.0) has mostly
> local groups on it, but there are a couple of Usenet groups that I want to
> mirror so I can access them on my server.  With INN 2.2, I was doing this
> (while actived and innd were running) by running tin -S to download unread
> articles in those groups from my ISP's news server and store them in the
> INN spool/articles directory, after which I would run ctlinnd renumber
> <group> for each group.  This method worked quite well for INN 2.2, but
> now, in INN 2.3, it doesn't work at all anymore.  I can get it to work
> more or less by running makehistory -O instead of renumbering the group,
> but that takes 15 minutes at a time on my machine even with the -x option.

I'm speechless.

> Is there any way to do what I want to do WITHOUT using tin to download
> articles -- to have INN directly download the articles, say, but without
> paying for a news feed?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Use "suck" or "newsx" to download th articles about push them to your
server from localhost. I'm not sure if suck does history lookups correctly
with 2.3 so newsx might be the best for what you are running.

Suck is at http://home.att.net/~bobyetman/
Newsx is at http://www.kvaleberg.com/newsx.html

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz