OVDB: Should I be worried about this?

Heath Kehoe heath.kehoe at intermec.com
Mon Oct 2 07:25:31 UTC 2000

>A late July snapshot of -current, with BerkeleyDB 2.7.7
>

>-rw-r-----  1 news  news     7493122 Sep 22 20:00 log.0000003550
>-rw-r-----  1 news  news     7626239 Sep 27 12:00 log.0000004552
>-rw-rw----  1 news  news    10484212 Oct  1 18:11 log.0000005517
>-rw-rw----  1 news  news      453455 Oct  1 18:11 log.0000005518
>
>That old log file has me a bit concerned, since the server has been
>restarted since then.

I'll bet you can just remove those old log files.  To be certain
that it's safe, run:

  db_archive -h /path/overview -l

If the old log files are not listed in the output, they may be
safely deleted.  The db_archive tool is provided in the BerkeleyDB
distribution.

>I had bad luck with 3.1.14 of BerkeleyDB, but am considering upgrading to
>the 3.1.17 release.

I'm using 3.1.17 these days, and it's at least as stable as 2.7.7.

You might also consider upgrading to a recent -current snapshot,
which includes a new & improved version of ovdb.

-heath