Upcoming large cleanup checkin

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 4 09:16:28 UTC 2000

I finally got tired enough of some of the legacy typedefs and #defines to
do a bunch of fairly mechanical search and replaces, removal of a few
unnecessary casts, and the like.  I have pending modifications that will
remove all of the LEGACY section of clibrary.h and a chunk of the stuff in
config.h (so it gets rid of things like SIZE_T, PID_T, POINTER, CPOINTER,
STRING, STATIC, etc.).

I've left the OVDB stuff alone for right now since I know the same version
is being used in both 2.4 and 2.3; it can easily be left for a second pass
since the only thing it used that I was cleaning up was BOOL.

This is one of those large and somewhat annoying checkins since it touches
basically every file and may make applying old patches harder.  :/  I've
got several patches in my backlog to deal with and will take care of
resolving conflicts.  It's the sort of change that CVS *should* be able to
merge fairly well, though.

I figured I'd give some advance warning; I'll probably start checking
things in tomorrow.  I know this is of somewhat debatable value to spend
much time on (and I'm also thinking over some more important changes), but
I think moving towards a consistent coding style and getting rid of the
older examples out of the entire source base will make it easier to
maintain down the road.