64-bit bugs in new ovdb

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at epix.net
Thu Oct 5 22:29:19 UTC 2000

> > Besides, the NNTP specs dictate that the maximum allowed article number
> > is 2^32-1.  I was thinking maybe we could make ARTNUM a u_int32; but
> > that would break existing INN installations on 64-bit systems (where
> > structs stored in files have ARTNUM-sized members).
>
> Ouch.  *sigh*  Hadn't thought about that.

INN 2.2 -> 2.3 broke ALL installations, not just 64 bit systems.

This has to be fixed eventually.

(And it sounds like OVDB is not working reliably on 64-bit systems
now anyway, because of this bug.)

Russ, you are more up on C99 than many of us.

Is there a way to guarantee an integer type with sizeof() == 4?

In C99, what does int_least32_t really mean?

Does it mean that 2^32-1 + 1 == 0, or does sizeof(int_least32_t) == 4.