cant bind to RCreader

Kevin McKinnon kevin at sunshinecable.com
Wed Sep 6 18:44:34 UTC 2000

> I am unable to start innd no matter what I do.  When I run it in debug
> mode I get an error: innd SERVER cant bind RCreader Permission Denied.
> I am using Red Hat 6.2 and the version of innd that comes with it.  I
> saw a posting in the archives wth the same problem but no answer.  Does
> anyone know what is going on?  Thanks.

Hi Shain,

Check ~news/bin/inndstart to ensure that it's owned by root and that
the SUID bit is set in its permissions.  It sounds like innd is
running as a non-root user and trying to bind to port 119 and cannot
do it.
Also, ensure that no other process is running bound to port 119 --
ie: an old version of the news daemon.

Cheers,
Kev

Kevin McKinnon, Sr. News Administrator              news at sunshinecable.com
Sunshine Communications Cable Internet       http://news.sunshinecable.com
[cronkite.sunshinecable.com  INN2.3  Incoming Curr:14.0Mbps,Peak:22.7Mbps]