INN 2.3x and hardware

Bettina Fink laura at hydrophil.de
Fri Sep 22 12:44:16 UTC 2000

Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

>> This is very weird. Which part of INN requires file locking?
>> I don't think the spool needs it, to get more performance you should
>> try mounting it again without locking.
>
> I believe all of tradindexed, buffindexed, and ovdb (by way of
> Berkeley DB) use fcntl file locking.

Ok, let's scrape all the information together and try to get
a picture. :-) That's what I have:

* mmap: All overview methods use mmap (regarding one of Heath'
  older mails, <200007131941.OAA00745 at darkside.norand.com>).

* Locking: All overview methods use fcntl file locking.

* Heath also mentioned http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/env/remote.html
  for ovdb (-> Berkeley DB and remote file systems).

What about the rest and mmap / locking? Spool (as I mentioned,
we'd like to use timecaf), active, history etc.?

We are big fans of NFS storage solutions (NetApp, EMC²), but if
this will not work: What are others using? Two people suggested
Compaq storage solutions, anything else?

Bye,
Bettina