moving INN to another machine

Nicholas Geovanis nickgeo at merle.acns.nwu.edu
Tue Sep 26 19:04:26 UTC 2000

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Sergey Akifiev wrote:

>   How can i move INN 2.3.0 server to another machine without loosing
>   articles? Currently i'm using cnfs.
>   I've tryed to copy cycbuffs/*, db/* and spool/* to new comp. But
>   when i looking for articles in newsgroups whith OE 5.5? first it
>   shows, that there's unread articles, but then is see nothing...
>   empty newsgroups.
>   Any suggestions will be appreciated.

If you have a clear, second server, the easiest way to handle an upgrade
is to build INN from scratch on the second server and configure it as a
slave feed from the old server. After a few days of propagation, or long
enough to exceed your article expiration limits, simply swap the two
machines (change the hostnames and addresses or swap a DNS alias).

If you need to get the articles to the new server faster than that, you
can use newsrequeue (or creative text-file filtering), filechan and
innxmit to get them there.

I wouldn't recommend just copying everything. At the very least, I would
rebuild the history files and overview (if any) after moving the spooled
articles.

>  Sergey                          mailto:sergey at road.omskelecom.ru

* Nick Geovanis             I can't go to work today.