IN 2.3.2 needs a QUICK fix

Brandon Hume hume at Den.BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca
Mon Apr 2 15:56:11 UTC 2001

> Apr  1 22:06:48 ns2 innd: tradindexed: could not create /var/news/spool/overview/group.index: Permission denied
> Apr  1 22:06:48 ns2 innd: SERVER cant open overview method
> Apr  1 22:09:29 ns2 innd: SERVER cant initialize the storage subsystem one or more storage methods failed initialization
> Apr  1 22:24:22 ns2 innd: SERVER cant exec in /var/news/bin/control/default No such file or directory
> Apr  1 22:26:42 ns2 innd: SERVER cant exec in /var/news/bin/capture No such file or directory
> Apr  1 22:35:34 ns2 innd: SERVER cant exec in /var/news/bin/control/default No such file or directory
> ---------
>
> Error log:
> interface.c:189 Can't malloc 1006510 bytes: Cannot allocate memoryinterface.c:189 Can't malloc 1006510 bytes: Cannot allocate memoryINND exiting because of signal
> can't open ctlprogs at /var/news/bin/controlchan line 94.

[ 16 thousand lines snipped ]

You know, I really don't think that was necessary.

But, in any event, if you look at the errors above, and the line producing
that error in the daily log, there are clues evident that point more toward
your install being messed up in some manner.

Does the directory /var/news/bin/control exist?  Is that what pathcontrol: is
set to in your inn.conf file?

--
Brandon Hume    - hume -> BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca/
                       -> Solaris Snob and general NOCMonkey