First post: How do I rename a newsgroup?

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Apr 5 23:57:00 UTC 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Michael Coxe wrote:

> INN server situation: Standalone INN 2.3.1 server [Solaris 5.7]
> using tradspool, whose current purpose is to act as an archive
> for Listproc lists injected through mail2news. There are no feeds
> in or out, and only a few postable "local" groups. Occasionally
> the Listproc mailing list names are changed with a corresponding
> need to change the newsgroup name.

As you saw in the archived post, the hard part is actually updating the
content of the articles (Newsgroups:, Followup-To:, and Xref: headers, I
suppose) -- I don't know if anyone has any real code to do this, but this
bit of Perl destructively updates 'A' to 'B' in those lines of all files
in the current directory (change A and B to whatever renaming you want to
do):

perl -pi -e 's/^(Newsgroups|Followup-To|Xref)(: .*)A(.*)$/\1\2B\3/' *

(it doesn't deal with complicated cases, but ought to get everything
coming out of a gateway just fine).

Then you ought to delete everything in spool/overview/ (you want to have
an empty directory 'overview' when you're done), and do something like

makehistory -O -x

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org