Filesystem Hierarchy Standard patch

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Fri Apr 6 22:04:59 UTC 2001

On Apr 06, James Ralston <qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

<FLAME>
 >+            /etc/inn
 >+            /var/lib/inn
Since I remember using INN on linux, and it's about slackware 3 and INN
1.4, distributions installed inn files in /{etc,var,lib,spool}/news,
which are perfectly good names. I wonder WTF you propose to break
current systems and traditional paths.
Well, I suppose sane distributions are just going to ignore your patch.

 >+        default is /var/news/db.  This history and active files will be
FHS 2.2, paragraph 5.1:

[...]
       Applications must generally not add directories to the top level of
       /var.  Such directories should only be added if they have some system-
       wide implication, and in consultation with the FHS mailing list.

You could at least read the document.

</FLAME>

In my opinion of long time linux user and debian inn package maintainer
I think this patch should not be committed because it diverges from
long estabilished traditions and makes wrong (read as: directly in
violation of FHS) choices about most files locations.

--
ciao,
Marco