Filesystem Hierarchy Standard patch

bill davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Apr 12 18:19:04 UTC 2001

In article <20010409224217.A19968 at wonderland.linux.it>,
Marco d'Itri <md at Linux.IT> wrote:

| On Apr 09, bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
|
|  >  There are no "long estabilished traditions" in INN for where to put
|  >FHS optional installs, so there is no issue. If you want FHS, the option
| How can you say that? INN has always packaged by distribution makers to
| go in /etc/news, /{usr,var}/lib/news and /var/spool/news/.

  I think we're talking past each other here, I meant that the source
has not been FHS by tradition. I have no idea what might come with a
distribution, having built my own since Bnews and way before Linux was
more than a toy on (still have 'em) the MCS four floppy "distribution."

  I think it's fine to have a single option for FHS, and I really don't
worry too much about installing a "canned" news, if we make it easy for
distributors to "do it our way" there's a fair chance that they will all
do so.

  I confess I thought you wanted to make FHS the default for the source.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc