items in LIBDIR (related to FHS patch)

James Ralston qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 17 06:43:41 UTC 2001

Currently, the following items wind up in libdir when INN is
installed:

    docheckgroups
    innreport_inn.pm
    innshellvars
    innshellvars.pl
    innshellvars.tcl
    libinn.a
    libstorage.a

I was pondering what to do with these files in terms of FHS
compliancy.  The conclusion I reached is that I think only libinn.a
and libstorage.a truly belong in libdir, regardless of whether the
--enable-fhs-dirs option is given:

    docheckgroups is a program meant to be manually invoked by the
    news user; it should be in BINDIR.

    innreport_inn.pm is (essentially) a configuration file; it should
    be in ETCDIR.

    The innshellvars* files are also (essentially) configuration
    files; they should all be in ETCDIR.

Does anyone disagree?

If not, I will fold the changes necessary to make the above
relocations into my FHS patch.

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute