Artsize still not quite right in CURRENT

bill davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Apr 17 18:19:53 UTC 2001

In article <721yqsez2t.fsf at nd1.eng.demon.net>,
Alex Kiernan  <alexk at demon.net> wrote:

| davidsen at tmr.com (bill davidsen) writes:

| >   In any case, if that's the problem, unless there's a huge gain in
| > {something} by using pread, perhaps we can revert the code, or put in a
| > conditional, or whatever.
| >

| How about writing a configure test which checks for broken
| implementations and falls back to the version in lib (which emulates
| using lseek & read, so should work).

I'm in favor of it, but it's an interesting test to devise. I think we
want to determine if the kernel or library is broken first.

| The problem with going back (well its not a problem today) is that
| unless you put mutexes around your lseeks & reads you can't use it in
| a threaded environment (without having a set of file handles per
| thread). A threaded nnrpd is one of the things I've been playing with.

I don't know about anyone else, but my efforts are going into trying to
get news into the box, not out!

| The other concern I have is that the new history code I have uses
| pread/pwrite - that would fail in the same way if your history file
| were to grow bigger than 4G.

Looks as if we're going to have to force the internal version for the
moment, that's sure to happen soon.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc