items in LIBDIR (related to FHS patch)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 17 21:48:29 UTC 2001

James Ralston <qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

>     docheckgroups is a program meant to be manually invoked by the news
>     user; it should be in BINDIR.

Agreed; I think a pending patch from Marco already does this, and I'm
going to try to get to that soon.

>     innreport_inn.pm is (essentially) a configuration file; it should
>     be in ETCDIR.

No, innreport_inn.pm is a Perl module used by innreport and is essentially
part of the innreport implementation.  Changing it is similar to changing
the source code of INN; it's not user-editable and isn't a configuration
file.  I think it belongs in lib.

(Ideally it should be a real Perl module and be installed into the
site_perl tree, but that's more work than is likely to be done any time
soon.)

>     The innshellvars* files are also (essentially) configuration
>     files; they should all be in ETCDIR.

The innshellvar* files are the encoding of local system dependencies and
autoconf-probed information; they're not user-editable in the common case
and don't set options, only record information about the system.  I don't
think they're configuration files either.