items in LIBDIR (related to FHS patch)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 20 11:48:50 UTC 2001

James Ralston <qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> The most recent STABLE build still puts docheckgroups in LIBDIR.  I
> wasn't following the new controlchan stuff; I'm not sure if it's been
> merged or not.

It's not been merged yet mostly because I'm lame.  Hoping this weekend.
:/  Also hoping INN 2.3.2 this weekend.

> Right now, I have:

>     /etc/news/
>     /etc/news/filters/
>     /usr/bin/

Oh, this reminds me.  Make sure that anything that's installed in /usr/bin
is *not* owned by news.  Anything that's on root's path should be
installed owned by root, since otherwise it's too easy for the news user
to break into root.  This will require some fiddling with the installation
rules, unfortunately.

>     /usr/share/doc/news/

/usr/share/doc/inn, surely?

>     /usr/share/man/man/

I assume you mean /usr/share/man?

Other than that, this seems fine, although I agree with Marco that as many
binaries as are reasonable to move should probably live in /usr/lib
somewhere instead of in /usr/bin.

And I don't know the rules for /usr/bin vs. /usr/sbin.

> On 19 Apr 2001, bill davidsen wrote:
>> [libstorage] probably should become innstorage, it's much too likely
>> a choice for other applications.  If it can bite you it will bite
>> you, and all that.

> I think that's a good idea, but if the library name is changed, it
> should be changed regardless of whether --enable-fhs-dirs is supplied.

The directory name should be changed everywhere, and should be
libinnstorage or libinnstore or something like that.  Feel free to make
this change.