overview, expire, 2.4 and documentation

Katsuhiro Kondou kondou at nec.co.jp
Mon Apr 23 08:22:05 UTC 2001

In article <5.0.2.1.0.20010419102456.04166eb0 at pop3.gradwell.net>,
	Peter Gradwell <peter at gradwell.com> wrote;

} a) Is -CURRENT useable in production yet? Dare I ask whether
} 2.4 is days/weeks/months away?

Assuming you're running FreeBSD, it will be ok.

} b) I am wondering if we've got too much/too little overview db.
} I have 8x1.5G overview db buffers. Is there a magic formulae
} for working out how big the buffers should be? What are other
} people using?

I have 20*2GB buffers.

# inndf -n
5422026 overview data stored
# inndf -o
6 % overview space used

which means 4.6KB/data.

} - If I have fewer, smaller buffers for the overview db, will the expire
} work properly, thus negating the need for lots of overviewdb?

Unfortunately, not.

} - it's miss-reporting the article number for all our groups. We think this
} is because of our broken overviewdb. Does anyone know whether this
} is likely?

If cycbuff is rolled over, the earliest article is gone.
The earliest one is updated after expireover runs.
--
Katsuhiro Kondou