syslog log rotation

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Wed Apr 25 07:56:33 UTC 2001

Katsuhiro Kondou <kondou at nec.co.jp> writes:

> In article <724rve7k6t.fsf at nd1.eng.demon.net>,
> 	Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net> wrote;
>
> } Is it worth figuring how to integrate this cleanly, or should I just
> } make hupsyslogd.c available for dropping into contrib?
>
> I'd prefer the latter.  I'm not sure how many admins use
> pathlog over nfs, but I think it's not so many.

Don't we have a different race in the existing code - I think you can
lose log messages in between the cp & the cat /dev/null.

Thinking how Solaris does cp, it determines the length of the file,
mmaps() chunks & writes them - for a running INN that looks like a
mass of writes in that window.

Or am I missing something obvious?