syslog log rotation

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Wed Apr 25 15:39:45 UTC 2001

> James Ralston <qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
> > My $0.02: integrate it.  What INN currently does (zeroing files that
> > syslog is actively writing to) is a hack.  (Making a setuid-root
> > hupsyslogd program is arguably also a hack, but IMO, it's a much cleaner
> > one.)
>
> I'd really hate to put another setuid program into the INN distribution.
> Look at how much trouble we've had with the ones that we already have.

Agreed.

I'm going to build it so it can go in contrib, then change scanlogs so
it uses it if it finds it, otherwise do the existing stuff (and I'm
guessing there are platforms out there which don't have either
/etc/syslogd.pid or /var/run/syslogd.pid).

The patch for scanlogs can then either live in contrib, or go into the
main tree (depending on what gets decided).