QOS for nnrpd?

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Apr 27 16:06:56 UTC 2001

On 25 Apr 2001, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Dan Hollis <goemon at anime.net> writes:
> > On 25 Apr 2001, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> >> Yup, the code is already there; currently I think you can only get at
> >> it through the Perl authentication hooks, though.  Take a look at the
> >> Perl authentication hook documentation; authenticate can return a
> >> maximum number of bytes per second as the fifth value.
>
> > Any plans to add this option to readers.conf?
>
> Not by me personally, since I already have too many irons on the fire, but
> it shouldn't be too hard to do it.

Ok, I just did.  It's actually kind of amusing -- I set it to 1
byte/second for testing, and it's so slow that you can see CR and then LF
separately at the end of each line.

The only problem is that there is currently no support for rate-limiting
if SSL is compiled in.

It's at http://www.litech.org/~jeff/inn-diffs/ (called 'nnrpd-maxrate'),
and is against CURRENT from a couple days ago.

I'll submit it to inn-patches in a minute.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org