Outgoing not working

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 1 01:19:56 UTC 2001

Ron Jarrell <jarrell at solaris.cc.vt.edu> writes:

> Hmm.  You know, I've been seeing innfeed errors for messageids very like
> that.  They've been calling them invalid.  I was thinking that they
> might have exceeded an innfeed internal size limit for messageids, but
> haven't had the time to actually go *look* at the code.  It looks like
> it transmits them fine, but freaks when they come back in the return
> code. Here's a small sample:

> Jul 24 00:04:14 solaris innfeed[13048]: [ID 374417 news.error] jmu-big:1 cxnsleep message-id invalid message-id in reponse code 431 : <luholtsgpf5n3u317c56s2qc549u7pvpme at 4ax.com>
> Jul 25 03:20:47 solaris innfeed[13116]: [ID 374417 news.error] jmu-big:1 cxnsleep message-id invalid message-id in reponse code 431 : <hetoltgbbp8ho1onrt1figug9qfjr501ak at 4ax.com>
> Jul 27 12:26:39 solaris innfeed[26727]: [ID 374417 news.error] jmu-big:0 cxnsleep message-id invalid message-id in reponse code 431 : <_J087.16304$v5.2647350 at typhoon.austin.rr.com>
> Jul 28 04:00:26 solaris innfeed[18617]: [ID 374417 news.error] jmu-big:0 cxnsleep message-id invalid message-id in reponse code 431 : <g9r4mtsr3ickd6sj8rtid86t3m794l3hvl at 4ax.com>
> Jul 30 00:02:43 solaris innfeed[5329]: [ID 374417 news.error] jmu-big:1 cxnsleep message-id invalid message-id in reponse code 431 : <e2u5mtg3rl4r67164dgug3jq84n5vrlci1 at 4ax.com>

That's pretty strange... those are the message IDs of some standard piece
of software; I forget which (Eudora or something I think), and there are
tons of messages on Usenet with that message ID pattern.  innfeed should
handle them fine, and I know my server does.

I think that error message more frequently indicates a response from the
remote server for a message ID that innfeed didn't think it had actually
offered, but maybe I'm confused there.