423 Bad article number

Lisa Ungar lungar at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 1 15:39:52 UTC 2001

Hi,

I have started to see this error message for articles that are already in
the spool directory using the tradspool method.

Since I am running version 2.3.0, so I should have the fix mentioned
earlier in inn-workers

http://www.isc.org/ml-archives/inn-workers/1998/05/msg00252.html

My question could the error message be because I have corrupted the
overview directory, during the last rebuild.

Basically, I had to do renames for some of the newgroups on our server.

Here are the steps that I did for the renaming of groups

Removed the groups that were going to be renamed via ctlinnd rmgroup

Run the

 perl -pi -e 's/^(Newsgroups|Followup-To|Xref)(: .*)A(.*)$/\1\2B\3/' *

 mentioned in this URL:
 http://www.isc.org/ml-archives/inn-workers/2001/03/msg00361.html

move the articles to the new directory.

Add the new groups name using ctlinnd newgroup command

shutdown inn using ctlinnd shutdown command

Basically, article posts were still going on, until I shutdown inn.

I removed the files in the overview direcotry rm -r
/usr/local/news/spool/overview/*

run the makehistory -O -x command

When this completed, I brought up innd using  inndstart command

Ran ctlinnd renumber command on the new groups (renamed only)

I did notice the following did appear in the news.err log multiple times

makehistory: tradspool" can't determine class       Bad article handle.

However, I did check one of the entries listed in news.err and was able to
display the article without any problems using the sm command.  I also
tried it, via article numbers and did not get the 423 error message.

Basically, I removed the overview files again and reran makehistory  again
using just the -O option

then I did makedbz -i to rebuild the history databases.

Those articles are still giving me the 423 message.

Do I need to do something with the active file?

I had someone test and try to subscribe and unsubscribe and they were able
to see the articles, which is confusing to me and I need to check with
another person,, since when I do the telnet  nntp and try to get the
article using the article command, the newserver generates a 423

I don't know if it helps, but the first  article number in the list was a
cancelled article, but the others are not.  Basically, it is ignoring seven
articles within a newsgroup  Articles before those and after those articles
are recognized by the news server.

Thanks for you help,

Lisa