Proper use of channel newsfeeds.

gabriel rosenkoetter gr at eclipsed.net
Thu Aug 2 16:25:06 UTC 2001

newsfeeds(5) is a little bit vague about just how channel newsfeeds
work, so I'm hoping someone here can clear things up a little bit
for me.

In my storage.conf, I have:

method tradspool {
        newsgroups: *
        class: 0
}

Though, just recently, I had the method set to timehash. I have
since completely restarted innd. So I hope that's not the cause of
the weird token I'm getting below.

I have a channel newsfeed, declared like this:

foobar!:foo.*:Tc,Ac,Wmn:/path/to/foobar.pl

(Never mind what it's going to do, all it does right now is print
its standard input into a file.)

If I understand newsfeeds(5), especially its examples section,
properly, this *should* produce something like this on my Perl
script's stdin when I post an article to the newsgroup foo.test:

   <123 at my.host.dom> foo/test/999

Instead, it's producing this:

  <9kbu4v$e0u$1 at my.host.dom> @050000000008000000090000000000000000@

What might I have set wrong to be getting a token like this instead
of a path (relative to patharticles in inn.conf) to the file
containing the article? Just what does this token *mean* anyhow?

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net