Re-initializing a CNFS spool

Kevin McKinnon kevin at sunshinecable.com
Fri Aug 3 19:48:10 UTC 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Eric McDonald wrote:

> I need to re-initialize my CNFS spool, but I don't want to go through the
> lengthy process of deleting/restoring with mkfile (my version of linux
> doesn't allow direct I/O to a raw filesystem).
>
> What's the best way to reset a CNFS spool file?

Eric,

If you clear out just the header of the CNFS file, INN will reinitialize
it.

I don't recall exactly how big the header is, but I usually overwrite 100
records.  Use dd, same as usual, just specify conv=notrunc so the
resulting file is not truncated, and use a smaller count than you
would for a new file.

cronkite# dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/cnfsfile count=100 conv=notrunc

Restart INN and the storage manager will reset your CNFS file.

Best regards,
Kev

Kevin McKinnon                                kevin at sunshinecable.com
Network Administrator                    http://www.sunshinecable.com
Sunshine Communications Ltd.                   office: (250) 442-5844