bad_auth error

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Wed Aug 29 19:31:33 UTC 2001

I am trying to set up inn 2.3.2 to be a strictly local newsfeed. I don't
have access to outside feeds (though I wish I did!). I only want to set up
my Redhat Linux 7.0 box for newsgroups I create on this box, and I only
want users behind our firewall to be able to access it. I have this in my

auth "localhost" {
   hosts: "localhost, 127.0.0.1, stdin"
   default: <localhost>"
}

access "localhost" {
   users: "<localhost>"
   newsgroups: "*"
   access: RPA
}

auth "lan-wide" {
   hosts: "10.1.5.0/24"
   default: "<local>@10.1.5.58"
   default-domain: "10.1.5.58"
}

When accessing this box from 10.1.5.75, I get a login prompt, but login is
never successful. The log/news.notice file states

[time] nnrpd [26473] 10.1.5.75 connect
[time] nnrpd [26473] 10.1.5.75 bad_auth
[time] nnrpd [26473] 10.1.5.75 times user 0.000 system 0.020 elapsed 0.027

The result is that I cannot log in and see or post messages. What am I
doing wrong? I am *not* using innfeed.

Bill Tangren
bjtATaaDOTusnoDOTnavyDOTmil