Trying to restart innd after power outage but get "innd dead but subsys locked"

pwitting at Cyveillance.com pwitting at Cyveillance.com
Fri Aug 31 13:57:45 UTC 2001

Sounds like the "lock" files are hanging around and INN can't get rid of
them (probably due to permissions)

Track 'em due and rm them with extreme predjudice.

It is left as an exercide for the reader to actually locate them :^)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Davis [mailto:jpdavis at utmb.edu]
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 2:19 AM
To: inn-workers at isc.org
Subject: Trying to restart innd after power outage but get "innd dead
but subsys locked"

Here is an excerpt from a  shell session

[root]# /etc/init.d/innd start
Starting INND system:                                      [  OK  ]
[root]# /etc/init.d/innd status
innd dead but subsys locked

I have searched dejanews and the inn-workers archives for the solution but
to no avail.

I began to think that perhaps there was a stuck lockfile or .pid file but
alas, no such luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

p.s. My setup is Redhat 7.1 with inn-2.3.1-2