nnrpd's Argify() and passwords with spaces

Katsuhiro Kondou Katsuhiro_Kondou at isc.org
Wed Dec 19 07:57:22 UTC 2001

In article <E16FhYE-0007lk-00 at marduk.litech.org>,
	"Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at marduk.litech.org> wrote;

} However, we have seen people have problems with spaces in
} passwords (it's been in TODO for a long time) and it seems
} reasonable to "extend" the spec to support this.  It
} theoretically could break things for people/software that are
} depending on the oddities of the current behavior, but certainly
} in the overwhelming majority of the cases it should not cause
} problems.

I don't catch up news.software.nntp(over 800 arts unread),
but no one proposed quoting spaces by '\'?

} - It's pretty clear that leading whitespace should be removed,
}   but what about trailing whitespace?  That is, should a command
}   like "AUTHINFO PASS    foo  bar " be read as a password of
}   "foo  bar" or "foo  bar "?
}
}   (In the absence of any strong opinions, the latter is easier to
}   implement.)

I think this is somewhat work around to avoid the problem,
so I don't have a special opinion on this.  And I'd like someone,
it's ok if it's me :), also to implement more generic method
to fix this(including protocol definition).

}   that used these functions, which would you rather see?  Would
}   the latter be improved by having a function (or macro) to
}   encapsulate the check?

Perhaps, it'd be.
--
Katsuhiro Kondou