Access control for reading.

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 1 17:08:45 UTC 2001

Dave Tormey <dave.tormey at s3group.com> writes:

> I'm running innd-2.3 on Solaris 2.6.  What I want to do is restrict
> read/post access to certain newsgroups based on the unix group of the
> reader if possible, or just the username. I've had a read of the
> readers.conf man pages etc., but am still a bit lost.

How are you establishing what username is connecting?  That will determine
the rest of how to do this.

The best place to start is by looking at ckpasswd and the examples in the
readers.conf man page on how to use it.  ckpasswd doesn't check groups by
default, but it could be easily modified to do so if you know a bit of C.
INN uses external programs to do authentication and talks to them via a
fairly simple interface.