Wow... expire still too slow

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 2 08:48:18 UTC 2001

Pauline Middelink <middelink at polyware.nl> writes:

> As the subject says, just got the expire report from Monday (on Friday)
> Needless to say this machine is rapidly overflowing, since the expire
> can't cope with the incoming article flow (non-binary ~2GB/day)

> Double needless to say that i'm very interested in the new history API!

Um, from the below, it looks like you're running tradspool, since you're
running expirerm.  Is that right?  If so, the problem doesn't have
anything to do with history and everything to do with the fact that
tradspool is incredibly slow to expire in 2.3.1.  It's much faster in
CURRENT; I'm working on backporting those changes now.

Also, given the amount of time expire is taking to run, my guess is that
your server is swapping itself to death and doesn't have enough memory.

I'm running a pure tradspool server with a quarter again as many articles
as yours and it expires in three hours.  Not ideal, but certainly much,
much faster than what you're seeing.