Timer library

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Mon Feb 5 11:04:34 UTC 2001

Fabien Tassin <fta at sofaraway.org> writes:

> it is possible to use nested timers ?
> It is the reason I've created the history timer... it is sometimes
> interesting to have reports of nested functions as a tree like the one
> I've shown as a sample of "stathist".

Right now I'm just hauling the pieces out, so I can move the history
code into the library.

I'm thinking you'd do them by making start/stop use a push/pop type
mechanism, but I'd be concerned about the performance of having that
kind of complexity in the main code path. Also its extra complexity
when you try to thread them (I've had a few thoughts on how I might do
that).

Open question - Does that kind of code belong in the main server?
Whilst I found stathist useful, mostly it showed that I just needed to
figure out how to use Sun's profiling tools.

> > What's the best way to pass this stuff to you for committing? I'm
> > rapidly approaching the point where its hard to separate out the
> > different pieces...
>
> unified or contextual patches sent to inn-patches at isc.org are usually fine.
> If you Cc inn-workers, be careful, Listar doesn't like non ASCII attachments.

Thanks.