-current broken on Solaris w/o nscd

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Mon Feb 5 14:05:50 UTC 2001

Whilst doing the timer stuff, I've made changes to configure.in (and
configure) & it looks like I hadn't updated stuff in a while.

The changes around -lresolv and inet_aton have broken name lookup on
Solaris 8. If -lresolv exists during configure, then inet_aton is
found in it, if not we build own into libinn, libnsl then resolves
inet_aton from it[1] & proceeds to fire all name requests to
127.0.0.1.

If nscd is running the queries go via it, or if you're static you're
OK.

AFAICT inet_aton() in libinn is more strict than the Solaris internal
variant, so the resolver passes in stuff which comes back with NULLs &
then falls back to 127.0.0.1.

Can we put -lresolv back into the configure script, so that inet_aton
isn't needed in libinn?

[1] and you're building a shared libinn