Natterings about history files

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 6 19:54:05 UTC 2001

Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net> writes:

> OK, I'm a fairish chunk of the way there (at least for innd), but I'm
> just trying to figure out if there's ever a need to return a "I've seen
> that article but its expired" distinct from "I know nothing about that
> article" from HISlookup - is there ever a need to retrieve the fact that
> the history file knows posted/arrived information, but that its been
> expired (other than via HIScheck)?

You mean, what HISlookup should return for articles that are still
remembered as having been seen but which aren't stored on disk?  Hm.
Actually, no, I can't think of a reason... innd should use HIScheck to
decide whether to accept an article, and nnrpd can't do anything with
articles that aren't on disk any more.  The only program that I can think
of that currently would want to know both pieces of information is
grephistory, and it can easily enough call HIScheck followed by HISlookup.