pure transit server

Fabien Tassin fta at sofaraway.org
Thu Feb 8 19:39:17 UTC 2001

According to Fabien Tassin:
> I'm not satisfied by the current model. Too many indirections and conf files,
> in particular.

speaking of conf files, IMHO, we have too many. I'm starting to think of
the new generation. I'm tired to edit 3 or 4 different files to
just add a peer, one should be enough.

Several times, the idea of a great unified syntax has been discussed here.
I want to reopen the debate. I'm less interrested by how a line should
look but by what information should be there and how associations
can be made.

I'll try to elaborate later but I'm tempted by a file called newsfeeds.conf
to replace incoming.conf, innfeed.conf and newsfeeds. It will contain
2 types of sections, "peer" and "program". Usage of conditions can produce
powerful things..

===
peer foo {
  term Incoming {
    from {
       addresses [ news.foo.org 1.2.3.4 ];
       groups "*, at poison";
       size 1024KB orlower;
    }
    then accept;
  }
  term Outgoing {
    from {
      groups "*";
      size 128KB orlower;
    }
    then {
       address news-small.foo.org;
       send;
    }
    from {
      groups "*";
      size 128KB orgreater;
      exclude foo.org;
    }
    then {
      address news-big.foo.org;
      send;
    }
}

peer bar {
  term IN {
    from addresses news.bar.org;
    then accept;
  }
  term OUT {
    from groups "*";
    then {
      address news.bar.org;
      send;
    }
  }
}

peer path {
  term Inpath {
    from groups "*,!local.*";
    then {
      program inpaths;
      pipeto;
    }
  }
}

program inpaths {
  command "/news/bin/inpaths";
  arguments "-p -d /news/log/path/inpaths.%d";
}
======

Those that are familiar with Juniper routers will recognize exactly the
syntax of their configuration file. I like it but it tends to quickly
become long. I also like the way it is handled by the CLI.

I'm wondering if an internal XML API will not be a good thing..

Fabien Tassin -+- fta at sofaraway.org