pure transit server

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Feb 9 10:38:36 UTC 2001

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Fabien Tassin wrote:

> According to Fabien Tassin:
> > I'm not satisfied by the current model. Too many indirections and conf files,
> > in particular.
>
> speaking of conf files, IMHO, we have too many. I'm starting to think of
> the new generation. I'm tired to edit 3 or 4 different files to
> just add a peer, one should be enough.

  I think combining innfeed and newsfeeds would be nice, and certainly
there are some things in innfeed.conf which should be allowed as part of a
higer (group) spec rather than required at each peer.

  But in general it's quite clear what things are doing, if slightly
ponderous to edit several files. And I am dead against anything which
would reduce the generality of newsfeeds bu building in an assumption that
outgoing feeds go to innfeed, because many of mine don't.

  You might try using m4 (or cpp) or some such to generalize generation of
newsfeeds. I usually split my feeds into three sizes, having found better
performance that way. That's easy to generate with a macro.

  I have played with a parl program to process a spec into entries for
incoming, newsfeeds and innfeed.conf, which could then be added to the
files, probably just by adding to the end. Something like the cycbuff
config to generate the cycbuff.conf file and a shell script to create the
cycbuffs. Let's not lose flexibility in the name of convenience, the three
files do things which are really not always applied to each peer.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc