Latest core dump ... newest CVS ...

Andrew McNamara andrewm at connect.com.au
Mon Feb 12 05:35:23 UTC 2001

>> > Unfortunately, I'm not sure how useful the backtrace this is, since this
>> > looks basically like one of those segfaults in malloc, which means there's
>> > random memory corruption elsewhere.
>
>Is there anything I can do at this end, since it is crashing every 2
>minutes or so, I can obviously recreate it :)

A technique that I use in cases like this is to try to make the crash
occur closer to the corruption point: I do this by adding a line

    free( malloc( 1 ));

at random places through the code (near a suspect module, in the main
worker loop). Hopefully this makes your cores a little more meaningful.

You probably want to vary the amount you malloc - it's a bit hit and
miss sometimes.

 ---
Andrew McNamara (System Architect)

connect.com.au Pty Ltd
Lvl 3, 213 Miller St, North Sydney, NSW 2060, Australia
Phone: +61 2 9409 2117, Fax: +61 2 9409 2111