Purify errors

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 13 16:05:11 UTC 2001

Fabien Tassin <fta at sofaraway.org> writes:

> Are these stats taken on the fly or is a complete session
> (start/run/stop) needed ?

> I've tested the malloc checker built in glibc > 2.1 for a complete
> 'short' run, it reports far more than this (hundreds of unfreed
> locations).

I would trust Purify considerably more than glibc's checker.  It's a shame
that Purify is commercial because it's really incredible software.  (We
have a site license here too, and I need to get set up so that I can start
running it as well.)

Also, were you compiling with Perl filtering, and if so, is the Perl that
you're using built with PURIFY defined?  If not, Perl will appear to leak
memory all over the place due to its internal allocation structure
creating false positives.