Unitialised reads in innd (current from this morning)

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Thu Feb 15 17:21:24 UTC 2001

Fabien Tassin <fta at sofaraway.org> writes:

> According to Kiernan, Alex:
> >
> > ... my modified code with the history
> > API in it, which is current with whats in CVS.
>
> Can you please explain what are your plans for the history system ?
> I understand that you've moved the code in a library but I'm interested
> to know why you need this.

Basically I wanted to experiment with alternate history mechanisms;
we're planning on building a news farm out of inn, but need to split
up the pieces so we can sit them on separate boxes. One of the ideas I
was interested in trying was a history and overview server which keeps
everything core, reader servers then connect to it to retrieve what
they need and to storage servers for articles.

Russ' history API suggestion seemed like a good way to achieve this,
plus it gave me the opportunity to understand the code a whole let
better, whilst working on something which would appear to be of
benefit.

I don't have any concrete plans for it once its separated out; I guess
permitting regular and tagged hash as a run time configurable would be
one deliverable.