&#%@§!! environment

Zenon Panoussis oracle at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 19 04:09:00 UTC 2001

"Jeffrey M. Vinocur" skrev:

> > things and tried to start with su news -c ./rc.news . No go,
> > the answer is
> >   bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied

> I suspect that it's not trying root's environment because of config files,
> but rather because of actual environment inheritance.  Try

>   su - news -c ./rc.news

> and see if that helps?

That rids me of the /root/.bashrc problem, but INN still refuses
to start. First I get a weird behaviour that I don't understand:

  # pwd
  /usr/local/news/bin
  # su - news -c ./rc.news
  -bash: ./rc.news: No such file or directory

then I force it and get a somewhat decent reply:

  # pwd
  /usr/local/news/bin
  # su - news -c /usr/local/news/bin/rc.news
  Starting innd.
  Scheduled start of /usr/local/news/bin/innwatch.

but still the syslog says:

  PAM_unix[1026]: (system-auth) session opened for user news by root(uid=0)
  inndstart: can't setgroups: Operation not permitted
  inndstart: seteuid(0) failed: Operation not permitted
  PAM_unix[1026]: (system-auth) session closed for user news

and innd is not running. All I get is one rc.news process, one
innwatch and one sleep process every time I try.

So, still in the news/bin directory, try

  # strace -v -f -o strace.out2 'su - news -c /usr/local/news/bin/rc.news'
  strace: su - news -c /usr/local/news/bin/rc.news: command not found

It's been something like six hours with this now and, I have to admit,
the thought of formatting the root partition has crossed my mind more
than once, even though if it wouldn't be any more intelligent than
smashing the monitor. Duh.

oracle at everywhere: The ephemeral source of the eternal truth...