&#%@§!! environment

Zenon Panoussis oracle at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 19 05:35:05 UTC 2001

"Jeffrey M. Vinocur" skrev:

> > WHOAMI          = (whoami || /usr/ucb/whoami || $(PERLWHOAMI)) 2> /dev/null

> Those || things are "or" -- it tries them in order until one succeeds.
> That is, first it tries to run `whoami`, which will probably work just
> fine, but if it can't find it, it tries an explicit path.  That shouldn't
> be a problem.

In the meanwhile I changed that line to the correct path to
whoami, re-compiled, re-installed and - lo and behold - INND
actually started with the default configuration. I went on to
copy all the .OLD configuration files over the corresponding
new ones, tried again, got the same error as before.

Thus, by now the problem has been isolated to the configuration
files. All I have to do is revert to default and then try my
settings file by file until I find the offending one, and then
in it setting by setting until I find the offending one. Swell
pasttime, but by now I'm prepared to do much worse than that to
get it working.

Thanks a lot for your help. And BTW, it still only works with
  su - news -c /us/loca/news/bin/rc.news
but not with
  su - news -c ./rc.news
or
  su news -c [path or not]rc.news

I guess that's a later issue :)

oracle at everywhere: The ephemeral source of the eternal truth...