INN not keeping up with incoming news

Fabien Tassin fta at sofaraway.org
Wed Feb 21 22:59:35 UTC 2001

According to Alex Kiernan:

> We've just taken to locking the history.{hash,index} in core; its
> worked wonders

without touching to the INN code ?

> - we've gone from spending hours per day in HIS* to
> under 10 minutes (although I've no doubt that some of the time is
> hidden elsewhere). Thinking about how you do page cleaning in an OS, I
> can imagine that the INN history hash is a hard problem to solve when
> its mmap()ed. There's an interesting comment from Matt Dillon I turned
> up:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?start=10&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&th=d0e8de5661dacd45&rnum=15&seld=955735264&ic=1

the whole thread is *very* interesting.

> If anyone's interested, here's the code we're using (it doubtless has
> some Solaris assumptions, I haven't tried building it anywhere else):

I haven't tried your program yet but I wonder if this job should not be
done in dbz.c automatically. I also wonder about its behaviour during and after
expire/shutdown/crashes/sync etc. If the files are never committed on disks,
the risk is very high to corrupt or lose everything.

Fabien Tassin -+- fta at sofaraway.org