INN not keeping up with incoming news

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Mon Feb 26 18:18:24 UTC 2001

> Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net> writes:
>
> > We've just taken to locking the history.{hash,index} in core; its worked
> > wonders - we've gone from spending hours per day in HIS* to under 10
> > minutes (although I've no doubt that some of the time is hidden
> > elsewhere).
>
> Here's something to try if you have a test box for it:  only mlock
> history.index and see if you still get the same win.  I wouldn't be
> surprised if you did.

I need to try that once I'm back in a reasonable state, but as I
remember it we were still seeing pages stolen from the .hash as a
problem.

> When you lock it into memory, though, with Solaris and its unified buffer
> cache, I bet all of those disk writes are staying in memory.

Fundamentally, they are. If you watch the iostat numbers you can see
occasional bursts of intense activity on the mount point where the
history files live, but its obviously happening asynchronous to the
main server.

> > If anyone's interested, here's the code we're using (it doubtless has
> > some Solaris assumptions, I haven't tried building it anywhere else):
>
> Shall I drop this into contrib?

You're welcome to, though its not clear if its useful anywhere other
than Solaris.